Wednesday 4 May 2011

A Shady Promise- Wangechi Mutu

What a babe.
I am not afraid to embrace my lezzer tendencies and right now I am totally crushing on a woman... Namely Wangechi Mutu.

I LOVE HER. Saw some of her work in Tate Liverpool, and the more I see the more I totally dig. Working in multi-media (seriously, she chucks everything in there) she creates these gorge fantasy women, varying from the ornate to the grotesque. Themes of fashion, female sexuality and ethnic identity float around in there too, which of course, is always good times!

Her exotic creatures reflect the paradoxical beauty of female sexual expression. Both worshiped and degraded, the female body is an object of public ownership, used to titillate and repulse simultaneously. Wangechi attempts to force this awkward relationship into the viewers consciousness; her women exotic and grotesque in their sexual expression. Looking at these images as a woman, and as a small town gal- I DIG THIS SHIT.
Splashy colours and gorge women? I'm done.
Share the love/hate/sex about MUTU in the comments section!
READ MORE for a bigger Wangechi fix!















No comments:

Post a Comment